Friday, October 9, 2009

Latino in America




Last night I attended CNN's special screening for Latino in America. For those who don't know this is a documentary-style program that is intended to expose the average American to the realities of being Latino in the U.S.  Over the course of 18 months, Soledad O' Brian (a CNN anchor, who happens to be of Afro-Cuban decent) interviewed Latinos from all walks of life in an effort to expose viewers to the diversity and what it means to be Latino.  The CNN executive producer was there to explain the special:




First off, while standing in line waiting for Newseum to be opened for check in, there was a little anti-Lou Dobbs protest. The crowd wasn't big, but the chant was catchy:



Once inside, contrary to the frenzy stirring emails, there was cushy theater seating for all and I got comfortable to prepare for a night of cultural awareness...or anger...I mean honestly, as with any documentary, it really could have gone either way.

First my overall opinion: I was very pleased with the 46 minutes of film I did see.  I think CNN definately listened to the criticsm from Black in America when Latino in America began taping and production.

Now lets dig in, once again baring in mind that this was a PREVIEW not the entire 4 hour special.  I, a self-proclaimed Latin Americanist, learned some things from the documentary.  For example, did you know there was a town named Pico-Rivera that is middle-class, and 92 percent Latino? It's residents call it the Latino Mayberry.  Or did you guys hear about Luis Ramirez being beaten to death in Shannadoah Valley, Pennsylvania for being Mexican in an overwhelming white town, or that Cold-War era "Children's Villages" still exist to detain...I mean "care for" children caught trying to cross the border solo? And to satisfy my food and cultural yearnings, I even learned about Lorena Garcia, a fiesty Venezuelan chef that has potential to be the next Rachel Ray (personally I love her cookwear and home goods line, very spicy!)

Problems I have with the show associated with the content of the preview:

-There were no Afro-Latinos in the screening material
-There was no mention of intra-cultural issues and conflicts: ie: everyone vs. Argentina, Puerto Ricans versus Cubans, etc.
-Where's Brazil? Where the considered?

Problems that I have in general, that I'm sure will be evident in the actual special:

-The use of derogatory langauge such as "spick" and "wetback." I think CNN should have edited it out to raise cultural awareness, I mean we'd shudder if we heard "nigger" on TV, so I think these racial slurs should have the same social consequences.
-Type casting based on country of origin

After the screening there was Q & A and a panel disaster.  Most of the questions centered around Lou Dobbs and why CNN keeps him on the air, which I thought was counter productive.  Also, there was a man who I will call "the angry blogger" who went off for a good 5 minutes about how much damage this documentary is doing for the Latino community.  I wish I could find his blog, and unfortunatly my mouth was so agape during his tyraid, I didn't even think to start recording him. But, here is what I could catch:



All in all: Latino in America is defnately worth watching over empanadas, sangria, guac, and pisco. So I'll be tuning in on October 21 and 22nd and you should too!

All photos and videos where taken by me, Nakashia Dunner, so please, don't steal-- its bad manners.

1 comment:

  1. Kashia,

    Great job in capturing the overall sentiments that I had after attending the event as well. I would add that there was no mention of the education issues occurring within the Latino community in the US. Additionally, on the panel that discussed briefly the 46 minute segment, there was no one from the education arena sharing insights on this issue and some actions taken in resolving the situation. I, too, agree with you, Kashia, that this is a step in the right direction. Dialogue is key in understanding the issues we are faced with, in addition to discussing possible solutions in resolving them. I am excited for what is to come, and urge folks to begin the discussion and become politically involved in the process to solve these situation.

    I'll end with saying, I am proud to be a Latina in America! Que viva la Raza!

    ReplyDelete